Condition for selection of factor of safety

Condition for selection of factor of safety


1. Effect of failure:

     The factors of the safety is high in applications where failure of machine part may result in serious accident. 
2. Type of load:
     Fs is low :- static external forces
     Fs is high:-impact load
3. Degree of accuracy in force analysis
     If forces acting on the machine component are precisely determined.
4. Material of component
     Homogeneous material :- Low Fs
     Non-homogeneous material :- High Fs
5. Reliability of components
     Fs increases with increasing reliability
e.g. power station equipments, defence equipments.
6. Cost of component
    High cost component :- High Fs
    Low cost component :-  Low Fs
7. Testing of machine element
    When the machine component can be tested under Excel conditions of service :- low Fs
    When it is not possible to test a machine part :- High Fs
8. Service conditions
    Corrosive atmosphere, high temperature environment :- High Fs
9. Quality of manufacture
    When quality of manufacture is high :- Low Fs
    When quality of manufacture is poor :- High Fs
 Note :-
               Here Fs is stands for high factor of safety

 

I'm passionate about my work. I love the feeling of helping people and impressing them with my content. I have a wide range of topics, so I think you will enjoy the content I offer on my website.…

Post a Comment